Cranberry Chipotle Ketchup

Cranberry Chipotle Ketchup
For the longest time, I used to pester my husband about the fact that he didn’t like ketchup. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around this. We would go out to breakfast at IHOP and while I would slather my hash browns in ketchup, he would pour maple syrup on them. Which, in my very humble opinion, is just not right. When we’d have fries, he would use barbecue or steak sauce on them–anything but ketchup. I nagged him and nagged him to give ketchup another shot and when he finally did, he admitted it wasn’t that bad. But he still wasn’t crazy about it and he still preferred maple syrup on his hash browns.

When I saw a recipe for cranberry ketchup in Cooking Light, I decided that homemade ketchup would be the best way to get my husband fully onboard the ketchup train. Rather than using the ground red pepper suggested by the original recipe, I opted to add chipotle chiles instead. I keep these on hand in the freezer–when we buy a can of them, we puree them and freeze for future use. It’s a great way to add a little heat to whatever you’re cooking. Anyway, the chipotle and adobo mixture gives the ketchup a nice, smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with baked sweet potato fries. My husband is now a believer in the power of ketchup–or at least cranberry chipotle ketchup.

Cranberry Chipotle Ketchup

A sweet-and-smoky ketchup that's perfect with sweet potato fries. Adapted from Cranberry Ketchup (Cooking Light).

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 c. fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. chopped shallots
  • 1/4 c. cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (more or less is fine--use what you're comfortable with)

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove from heat and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes. Process until smooth in a blender or food processor (I used an immersion blender). Transfer to bowl; cover and chill.

4.29

https://ohmyveggies.com/cranberry-chipotle-ketchup/

You Might Also Like