Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats
For a long time, I didn’t know that pomegranates were edible. I thought they were for decoration. My mom used to have a jar filled with little dried pomegranates underneath the coffee table in the living room and when I was little, I liked to empty them out onto the carpet and shake them to hear the seeds inside. Many years later, when I was in college, a friend of mine mentioned eating pomegranates.

“Wait, what?! You can eat those?!”

Pomegranate Half
I wasn’t completely convinced.

Eventually I tried pomegranates for myself and I came to love them, even though they’re a complete pain to prepare. My husband doesn’t think it’s worth the effort, but I do–I get excited about pomegranate season and I always feel bummed when it’s over and I know I’m going to have to wait until next fall to have them again.

Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats
With pomegranates in season now, I thought I’d try adding them to my overnight oats for breakfast. Lately when I make overnight oats, I’ve been using an equal amount of fruit and oats. It helps me feel like I’ve eaten more–because let’s face it, 1/2 cup of oats is nothing. Nothing! So I added 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds to the oats and almond milk.

Cocoa Nibs
And then I added chocolate. My first attempt at chocolate overnight oats was kind of icky–I realized that I don’t like cocoa powder in my oats. It’s a little too much first thing in the morning. So instead, I used cocoa nibs. They give the oats a chocolatey flavor without adding too much chocolatey flavor.

Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats
Like any overnight oatmeal recipe, there’s a lot of room for adaptation. Use your favorite kind of milk! Add chia seeds or chopped nuts instead of flax meal! Put in protein powder if you insist! Whatever. It’s all good and it’s pretty much impossible to mess up.

Print

Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats

Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats Recipe

This Cocoa Nib & Pomegranate Overnight Oats recipe is an easy, healthy way to start the day.

  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Total Time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: 1 serving

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned or rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa nibs or coarsely chopped dark chocolate

Instructions

  1. Stir together ingredients in a resealable container.
  2. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Stir again before serving; add additional milk for a thinner consistency.

Notes

If you use unsweetened milk, you may want to add your sweetener of choice to taste.

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.