Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus WrapsSponsored RecipeAre there any vegetables that you absolutely will not eat? I have a few that I could do without, and a few that I like prepared some ways but not others, but I can’t think of very many that I just won’t eat. Carrots and tomatoes, I’ll eat cooked, but not fresh. I’ll eat spinach raw (although I don’t enjoy it much), but unless it’s mixed in with a lot of other things, I won’t eat it cooked. I like peas sometimes, in small amounts, although snow peas can show up on my plate anytime and I’ll happily chow down on them. I try to push myself to give all these things another try once in a while (except my dreaded raw tomatoes), but whenever I do, I quickly conclude, “Okay, I just don’t like this.” And I think that’s okay; we don’t have to like everything, even healthy foods, as long as we’re eating a well-rounded diet.

Unfortunately, there are some people who don’t like any vegetables. And that can be a problem! A lot of kids just aren’t big on veggies, so parents try to find ways to sneak them in by throwing butternut squash into mac & cheese or shredded zucchini into muffins. When The Real Deal asked me to create a kid-friendly lunch, I was inspired by their sneaky Veggie Chips to find a way to pack veggies into a sandwich or wrap. And since there are a few veggies that I’m not fond of, I thought that if I could get myself to eat them in this wrap, kids would eat them too. Because when it comes to spinach? I’m kind of like a little kid. So how about Hummus Wraps?

Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus WrapsSlow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus Wraps
I started with Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus Wraps. To keep calories and sodium in check, I added a low-sodium vegetable broth to the hummus, instead of a massive amount of olive oil (as some recipes call for) or liquid from the chickpeas (as other recipes instruct you to do). This adds a little boost of flavor too. I spread this on a round whole wheat lavash (although a tortilla would work just as well) and topped it with spinach and rainbow carrots. Like any kid, I’m drawn to bright colors. (I also like Hello Kitty, hence the bento box.)

Roll your wrap up, slice it, and you have colorful veggie pinwheels! Maybe they’re not as sneaky as butternut mac & cheese, but I think they’ll please most picky eaters. I mean, I loved them, and raw carrots are pretty much a deal-breaker for me in any meal!

The Real Deal Veggie ChipsSlow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus Wraps
Serve these up with a side of The Real Deal’s tasty baked Veggie Chips and you’ve got a healthy lunch for even the most stubborn veggie haters. I’m not a big fan of peas, the main ingredient in these chips, but I can’t stop eating them. (Especially the very not kid-friendly spicy Sriracha flavor–yes, they make Sriracha-flavored Veggie Chips!) While baby carrots or celery sticks would be the best option, for kids who absolutely won’t touch fresh veggies, The Real Deal Veggie Chips are much better than fried potato chips or any snack food ending in -tos or beginning with the word Cheesy. Veggie Chips are natural, gluten-free, and a snack-sized bag contains only 100 calories and 2 grams of fat–an ounce of Veggie Chips has a serving and a half of vegetables too.

Tomatoes, spinach, carrots and peas, all in one meal. And I loved it!

Print

Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus Wraps

Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus + Veggie Hummus Wraps

A tasty, colorful wrap made with Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus, spinach, and carrots. Make the hummus up to 2 days in advance.

  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 3 hours
  • Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes

Ingredients

Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus

  • 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
  • olive oil mister or cooking spray
  • 15 oz canned chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp vegetable broth
  • 2 tbsp basil leaves, packed
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 clove garlic
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Veggie Hummus Wraps

  • 1 large whole wheat tortilla
  • 1/4 cup Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus
  • handful of spinach
  • about 1/2 cup carrot ribbons (use a peeler to slice carrots into ribbons)

Instructions

Slow-Roasted Tomato & Basil Hummus

  1. Preheat oven to 225˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place tomatoes cut-side up on baking sheet. Spray with olive oil. Bake for about 3 hours, or until tomatoes are shriveled, but still soft. Cool slightly.
  3. Combine tomatoes, chickpeas, olive oil, vegetable broth, basil leaves, lemon juice, tomato paste, and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth; add additional vegetable broth if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Veggie Hummus Wraps

  1. Spread hummus onto tortilla. Top with spinach and carrot ribbons. Roll tightly and cut in half or into pinwheels. If cutting into pinwheels, pack them tightly into a plastic container to hold their shape or spear them with toothpicks to keep them from falling apart. Each wrap makes two kid-sized servings.

Disclosure: The Real Deal compensated me for the time spent developing and photographing this recipe. And now, thanks to them, I am addicted to their Sriracha Veggie Chips. I love sriracha!

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.