Chewy Chocolate Strawberry Cookies

Chewy Chocolate Strawberry Cookies
Does your grocery store put out samples? The ones I go to do and, really, it’s pretty ingenious on their part because I always end up buying things I wouldn’t have otherwise. I am just that impressionable. And this is how I ended up getting dried strawberries. I tried them and they were so yummy and chewy and strawberry-y that I had to get them. Even though they were $7 and look like rabbit poop.

Dried Strawberries
I usually don’t buy a lot of dried fruit because, although it’s healthy, it’s pretty dense when it comes to calories. A serving size is usually a quarter cup, which is meager. Meager! So what do I do with dried fruit? I bake with it. I really wouldn’t have bought these super expensive rabbit-poop looking dried strawberries if I hadn’t had the idea to use them in cookies. And not just any cookies–chewy chocolate strawberry cookies! (Yes, if you read my blog regularly, you might recognize most of this recipe from my Chewy Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies–hush! It’s not plagiarism if you’re stealing from yourself!)

With the chocolate chips and strawberries, these are kind of reminiscent of chocolate covered strawberries. If you can’t find chewy dried strawberries at your local supermarket, other dried fruits would work well too–I’d try apricots, cherries, or even cranberries.

Print

Chewy Chocolate Strawberry Cookies

Chewy Chocolate Strawberry Cookies (Close)

Chewy chocolate cookies are good, but chewy chocolate cookies with bits of strawberries in them? Even better!

  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 12 minutes
  • Total Time: 27 minutes
  • Yield: 30 cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 c. mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. chewy dried strawberries, chopped
  • cooking spray

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and whisk until combined and any lumps are broken up. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together using a mixer on high speed. Add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Set mixer to low speed and slowly add flour mixture. Beat until just combined and fold in chocolate chips and strawberries.
  3. Drop tablespoons of batter two inches apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes or until set. (Don’t overbake or the cookies won’t be chewy!) Cook on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on wire racks.

Nutrition

  • Serving Size: 1 cookie

You Might Also Like