Rosemary Roasted CarrotsRecipes by me, photos by Rikki Snyder.

Even though I have a food blog, I have to confess that I get overwhelmed when cooking a few things at once. Does that happen to you too, or am I just especially weak and easily confused? It seems like the more I have going on in the kitchen, the more likely things are to end up charred and inedible. So when developing recipes for a vegetarian Thanksgiving, I wanted a good mix of dishes that were a little more involved and dishes that required very little time, effort, or thought. These Rosemary Roasted Carrots are one of the latter.

I also decided to add some simple roasted vegetable recipes to our Thanksgiving line-up because I wanted to have some lighter, healthier options in the midst of the stuffing and dessert and mashed potatoes. And that brings me to the other topic of this post: World Diabetes Day.

Rainbow Carrots
When Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food asked me to be involved in her World Diabetes Day event, I didn’t hesitate to say yes. But then I had a moment of doubt—do I even know how to make a recipe that’s diabetic-friendly? Carolyn assured me that I post diabetic-friendly recipes all the time and I just didn’t realize it. Obviously, sugar is a no-no for diabetics, and carbs should be limited or omitted in diabetic-friendly recipes.

A staggering 347 million people worldwide have diabetes; one of them is my Grandpa. While some diabetics are simply born with an inability to produce adequate insulin, Type 2 diabetes (the most prevalent form of diabetes) results from the body being unable to use insulin effectively. I think we often downplay the seriousness of diabetes because it seems like a treatable, manageable disease. We know people with diabetes—they work with us, they run marathons, they seem perfectly healthy. But treatable is not the same as curable. Complications of diabetes include cardiovascular illnesses, blindness, kidney disease, and amputation.

Carrot Peel
Please visit Carolyn over at All Day I Dream About Food and read her post about World Diabetes Day. She’ll be linking to other blogs that are taking part in today’s event, and she’s also giving away a KitchenAid Stand Mixer on her blog—it’s blue, the color of diabetes awareness.

Diabetes

Today Rikki is posting my Whipped Sweet Potatoes recipe. They’re sweetened with maple syrup and topped with pecans. If you don’t like the overbearing sweetness of traditional sweet potato casserole, this recipe is perfect for you!Print

Rosemary Roasted Carrots

Rosemary Roasted Carrots Recipe

A healthy, simple Thanksgiving side dish. Use heirloom or rainbow carrots for this recipe if you can find them.

  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 bunches of small carrots (about 24), peeled
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp rosemary, minced
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Toss the carrots with olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt & pepper.
  3. Bake 20–25 minutes or until tender.

Notes

If you want to leave the tops of the carrots on, loosely wrap them in foil before baking so they don’t burn in the oven.

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.