It has come to my attention that other bloggers have already started posting pumpkin and apple recipes. Sorry guys, I’m not letting go of summer produce that easily. You’re going to have to drag me away from corn and zucchini the same way you have to drag your 3-year-old out of the toy department at Target–crying, kicking, and screaming, “I HATE YOU! YOU’RE THE WORST MOM IN THE WORLD!”

So yeah, while everyone else gets a jump start on fall, I’m going to spend the next two weeks enjoying the last bit of summer. I like to cook seasonally and summer produce is still in season! I promise you it is! Sure, you could be eating apples and pumpkin right now, but you’ll have many months to eat apples and pumpkin. What about corn?! You’re going to miss fresh corn in a month when you can’t buy it anymore.

You know what you should do? Make this Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza.

Sweet Corn & Sausage
I make my Fresh Corn, Poblano and Cheddar Pizza at the beginning and end of every summer, but I wanted to try something different, so I threw together this recipe last weekend. I love thyme and corn together and since thyme is one of the few things I’ve been able to successfully grow this summer, I thought I’d use some of that on my pizza. And then I crumbled up a Field Roast Italian sausage that I had leftover from another recipe and used that too. Field Roast is the only faux sausage I buy because it’s made with real ingredients, but if you’re partial to another brand, that will work too. This recipe is pretty effortless and pretty forgiving–adding tomatoes, zucchini, or bell peppers would be delicious too.

What else is there to say? I love this pizza and I love corn. And I’m not ready for fall yet!

Print

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza

Sweet Corn, Sausage & Thyme Pizza sitting on wooden plate

Pizza topped with sweet corn, vegetarian Italian sausage, and fresh thyme.

  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for brushing crust
  • 1 shallot, sliced
  • 2 ears corn, kernels removed
  • 1 vegetarian Italian sausage link, crumbled (I use Field Roast)
  • 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 prepared pizza crust
  • 3/4 cup shredded Fontina or mozzarella cheese

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
  2. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 3 minutes, until it’s softened and just beginning to brown. Add the corn and sausage and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Place the crust on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Brush the top with olive oil, then layer half the cheese, half the corn and sausage mixture, then the remaining cheese and remaining corn and sausage on top.
  4. Bake for time indicated on pizza crust package, or about 10-15 minutes, until cheese has melted and corn is beginning to brown.
About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.