Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers
With the Super Bowl right around the corner, I feel like I should post something snacky. I’d probably be a bad food blogger if I didn’t, right? But I have to confess, I won’t be watching the Super Bowl this weekend. Football is the worst, you guys. The worst!

There are some sports that I kind of understand. Like soccer. Kick the ball into the net. Easy! But with football, there’s just too much going on. There’s running and numbers on the field and a weird shaped ball. Confusing! When we had to play flag football in gym class, the teacher never even bothered to explain how to play because I guess, like breathing and sleeping, everyone just innately knows. So I’d just run in whichever direction seemed appropriate and when it looked like someone wanted to throw the ball to me, I’d shake my head, wave my arms, and mouth the word “NOOOOOOO!!!!” And if I did, for some reason, end up with the ball, usually I’d throw it to whomever was closest to me, whether they were on my team or not. Because I did not want the ball. And then everyone would yell at me. Oh, they would yell.

That is what I know of football.

Jalapeno Cheddar Cracker Dough
Then there are the people who say, “Oh, I just watch the Super Bowl for the commercials!” And really, the only thing I can think of that’s worse than watching the Super Bowl is watching the Super Bowl and watching the commercials. Because really, the only commercials I will ever voluntarily subject myself to are those “You bet your sweet As…percreme!” ones they play during Dr. Phil and the Kia commercial with dancing hamsters. Because: duh, dancing hamsters.

But there’s another reason to be all gung-ho about the Super Bowl. One that doesn’t involve football or commercials. FOOD! Glorious snack foods. This I can do. So I made some Jalapeño Cheddar Crackers. And they’re pretty darn good–not just for Super Bowl snacking, but anytime snacking. They’re cheesy, crunchy, and a little bit spicy. Did I mention that they’re easy too? Because they are!

Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers
Are you looking for other Super Bowl snack ideas? The Spicy RD has a round-up of healthy Super Bowl Sunday recipes and Julie from The Little Kitchen compiled a massive list of her picks for the 100 best Super Bowl recipes.

Happy snacking!

Print

Jalapeño Cheddar Crackers

Jalapeno Cheddar Crackers Recipe

These crispy, cheesy jalapeño crackers are a definite crowd-pleaser. And they’re so easy to make too!

  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: 1 baking sheet of crackers

Ingredients

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. white whole wheat flour (whole wheat is fine too)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded & minced
  • sea salt for sprinkling

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Whisk together flours and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons of cheese. Stir in olive oil, water, remaining cheese, and jalapeño. Mix until just combined, careful not to overwork the dough. If needed, add another tablespoon of water to moisten.
  3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. I used a rimmed sheet, but an unrimmed sheet would work too. Transfer cracker dough to baking sheet and roll out it out as thin as you can–about the thickness of a saltine. Use a knife or pizza cutter to mark dough into rectangles. (Don’t cut the dough all the way through, just draw lines on it.) Sprinkle tops of crackers with reserved cheese and sea salt.
  4. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp and just beginning to brown. Baking time depends on the thickness of the crackers, so be sure to keep an eye on them! Allow to cool completely, then break along lines. Store crackers in an airtight container; if they get stale, bake at 225 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp.

Notes

For spicier crackers, add a second jalapeño or use a hotter pepper.

About

Kiersten is the founder and editor of Oh My Veggies.